Sunday, September 21, 2008

Soccer, It's Not Just For Kids

The kids may have had fun, but I had a blast. What's this?


It's how 3 and 4 year olds play soccer. One big cluster of kids chasing after the ball....poor ball, didn't stand a chance. Parker has obsessed about soccer since he could talk. I don't know why, we don't play soccer at home, we don't go to Real soccer games, and we don't watch it on TV. But this kid has made up his mind that it's what he wants to do for recreation. So, I signed him up. However, we failed to do any practicing or talking to him about the game before he had to show up for his first game. Oops.

Lucky for us, he is on the same team as his buddy, Jacob. Introducing Jacob.


Besides being my good friend, Jacob's mom is an exercise goddess. She does triathalons, she runs all over the neighborhood, she rides her bike better than I can walk, and I've even seen her ride a little non-powered scooter home after dropping her kids off at school. Oh yeah, she has played on adult soccer leagues before. Lucky for me, she taught Jacob a thing or two about soccer. So, right before the game, Sam said "Just follow Jacob and do what he does." Parker took the advice....literally.


There were plenty of bloopers which is always fun. My favorite one was when the ball went out of bounds, and the kids kept on running, kicking the ball even further.


Another time, all the kids were chasing the ball and Parker was just doing the "airplane" by himself, on the other end of the field.


He finally did get into the game, for a second or two...


Thanks for being such a great example Jacob!


Parker, you make soccer look good!


Tonight we had our monthly "cousins dinner" at my parents house. The theme was soups and sandwiches. Totally yummy and I'm still full.

It's always fun getting Cameron together with his little cousin who was born 10 days before him. I was playing with them both tonight thinking to myself "dang, if I had twins this is what it would be like." Pretty funny!

Cash was hamming it up for the camera, Cameron wasn't so sure about the whole situation, but he came around!





Cameron has a really disgusting sore on the side of his head due to his helmet rubbing him the wrong way. Sam called the emergency number on Saturday and they were like "oh, just leave the helmet off for the weekend and then call on Monday for an appointment to get it adjusted." I'm rather miffed by the whole ordeal because I was just at the office on Tuesday (which is almost a half hour away) getting it adjusted for the same sore spot and they said they fixed the problem. Then Saturday morning we woke up to puss coming out of the sore. Duh. I'm sure this company is great and lots of people I know have worked with them, but right now they are not high on my list. I have no idea how they are going to adjust the helmet so it's not going to really hurt for him to wear it tomorrow.

Alas, the saga of my life continues. Oh well, I'm happy because tomorrow is only supposed to be 71 degrees and kind of rainy in the morning. That's like my favorite weather!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

parker is hilarious!! love the babies sitting together! when is his next game?

cathy said...

Watching your kids play soccer at that age is such a complex mix of pride and shame... I remember when Emma played and a helicopter flew over and all the kids just stopped to see the helicopter and the ball just rolled away.
I'm sorry the helmet is giving you and Cameron such drama. Poor kid!

Natalie Service said...

You know Uncle Ian is a soccer freak so he is very VERY proud of Parker. Kids + any thing athletic = comedy show! I love it!

GREAT PICTURES OF CAMERON and CASH! Seriously, I can't help but think of Curtis and Cody when I see those two together. I think I can already see them scheming.

Is it possible to DEMAND A RE-MAKE of the helmet?

Ambyr said...

I totally can't wait until Austin plays soccer as well. It truly has to be one of the funniest things to watch! If Parker ever wants to practice, Austin loves to kick his soccer ball around the yard all the time and would love to play with him.

Sorry to hear about Cameron, I was wondering why he didn't have his helmet on at church. Hopefully he gets better soon!

Meridith O. said...

The soccer pictures are hilarious....what a fun time for them! I need the recipe for that soup you made last night, amazing! I'll email you soon with some dates to go to the body exhibit, I'm so excited!